Re: Broke my mail server

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Tue Jul 04 2006 - 18:12:43 AKDT

Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 July 2006 16:29, Damien Hull wrote:
>
>> I broke my mail server about an hour ago. I tried to add Dspam to the
>> mix. Now I can't send or receive mail. :'(
>>
>> Why is it that none of the instructions you find on the web work? I
>> followed the postfix instructions that came with Dspam. No luck. These
>> are the instructions that come with the software. How can instructions
>> that come with the software not work?
>>
>> Looks like it's going to be a long day.
>>

> Saw your message on the postfix list a bit ago. I followed the insructions in
> the DSPAM docs, and it worked fine. Here are some config file excerpts:
>
> In my master.cf:
> smtp inet n - - - - smtpd
> -o receive_override_options=
> -o smtpd_client_restrictions=$eei_smtpd_client_restrictions
>
> From here, you could use the "content_filter" parameter that is in the docs,
> and that's what I did at first, and it worked. But, I didn't want dspam to
> filter outgoing mail too, so we have:
>
> In main.cf:
> eei_smtpd_client_restrictions = reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net
> reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
> reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org
> cidr:/etc/mail/client.cidr
>
> The important part of that is the cidr: line. client.cidr contains:
>
> # This file determines which e-mail goes through our content filter (dspam)
> # and which does not
>
> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/XX OK
> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER lmtp:unix:/tmp/dspam.sock
>
> That XXX...XXX is a netmask defining our the IP's of our network. If it comes
> from anywhere but our internal network, it gets sent to DSPAM.
>
> Later on in master.cf:
> # For injecting mail back into postfix from DSPAM
> 127.0.0.1:10025 inet n - n - 16 smtpd
> -o content_filter=
> -o
> receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks,no_header_body_checks,no_addr
> ess_mappings
> -o smtpd_helo_restrictions=
> -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
> -o smtpd_sender_restrictions=
> -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_mynetworks,reject
> -o mynetworks_style=host
> -o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=127.0.0.0/8
>
> In my dspam.conf:
> DeliveryHost 127.0.0.1
> DeliveryPort 10025
> DeliveryIdent localhost
> DeliveryProto SMTP
> .
> .
> .
> ServerDomainSocketPath "/tmp/dspam.sock"
>
> And that pretty much sums it up. If you have any more questions feel free to
> ask, as we have a working install here.

I think I have it working now. I followed the instructions at the
following address.
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/focus_spam_dspam?page=0%2C0

They use procmail or maildrop. I went with procmail. The instructions
don't tell you that procmail will send mail to /var/spool/mail/"mbox". I
would see mail make it to dspam and vanish. I had to create a procmailrc
file that puts mail in the Maildir directory.

What I'm not seeing is any Dspam stuff in the header. Shouldn't there be
some stuff in the header? Maybe I need to get some spam before that
happens.

I'm moving on to the web interface part of the article. If something
goes wrong I'll let you know.