Re: KDE 3.5.3, IPv6, and CUPS

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Mon Jun 26 2006 - 09:34:45 AKDT

On Saturday 24 June 2006 21:42, James Zuelow wrote:
> Anyone else running KDE 3.5.3 on Debian testing?
>
> I do a dist-upgrade almost every day, and there have been a lot of KDE
> components coming down the pipe. Testing == sometimes broken.
>
> I recently lost the ability to resolve localhost with KDE. I
> originally noticed it when my desktop shortcuts to localhost stopped
> working and I had to use Firefox to get to my gnump3d music, but didn't
> pay much attention to it until I realized I couldn't print anymore. In
> Konqueror, http://127.0.0.1:631 would work fine, but
> http://localhost:631 would time out. Firefox did not have any issue
> with http://localhost:631, and other machines on the subnet could also
> connect so I was confident that it was a KDE problem and not a CUPS
> problem.

I use testing, upgrade several times a week. The only weird thing that
happened to me is Zeroconf gets installed as a depends on KDE-Network
meta-package, and I ended up in the twilight zone of 169.254.x.x. Not
sure what else could happen with Zeroconf , I do have a dhcp server
running just fine on my firewall. I don't use KDE as my desktop/window
manager , but I use quite a few kde apps.

--
Greg Madden