RE: KDE 3.5.3, IPv6, and CUPS

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Mon Jun 26 2006 - 08:50:11 AKDT

James Zuelow wrote:
> [ snip ]
> So is KDE using DNS to lookup localhost? Here's what I get
> using the ACS DNS servers (GCI just times out on me, maybe
> because the request is coming from the ACS netblock, or maybe
> because the request has to go through the lower-48 to get to
> GCI next door. Sigh. ACS and GCI still acting like children.)
From a consumer point-of-view, you might make this generalization,
because you just want 'things to work'.

From an economic point-of-view, there has to be a clear monetary
benefit to each party for any sort of interconnect. Numerous studies
show that there is no benefit.

From a business point-of-view, you either need a clear economic advantage,
or you need this scenario to provide 'stickiness' to the customer.
Unfortunately, the only stickiness it provides is that it allows the
oppositions clients to gain all the benefits of being on your network,
without any economic advantage.

Not exactly acting like children. More like acting as rational,
budget-constrained companies.

Of course, that's not to say that I would prefer a local NAP.
But after many years of discussions, I understand better why neither side
will capitulate and create one.

Your best bet, if you -really- want one, is to start one yourself. I'll
leave it to you to figure out how to pay for it.

As for the name servers? They're globally accessible. There is absolutely
no network filtering on those boxes to restrict queries. My laptop has the
DNS servers hard-coded, and I've used it cross-country. It's possible that
the servers aren't configured to respond to the type of query you requested,
but you didn't use dig, so I don't know exactly what query-type was used.
It's also possible that the DNS servers are configured to not return the
localhost entry. I'm pretty darn sure they're not configured for IPv6.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s