Re: freeNX as application server?

From: Luke D <jules.inu@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 19 2006 - 16:10:39 AKDT

I have been using FreeNX on Fedora Core 4 for about Six months. I have been
doing a lot at how and at work with using it as a application server. In
Free NX client from Nomachine you can configure it to just launch one
applications. Which is great if say you want to launch just a single
applications. I use it for Eclipse the PHP Ide I use. And Open Office.
I will discraibe how I use it bellow.

Configuration.
1 Windows Box
1 Linux Server with FreeNX

I configure my nx client so it launches Open Office or something I want from
my start menu. When I click on the icon it logs me into my Linux box and
launches that one application. It acts and feels almost like a native Window
application. I don't have to install the software onto my windows box and
half the time I cant because I am not that great with compiling applications
for Windows.

One of the great things with this is that if you have a mix environment
Windows and Linux you can set it up and let the Windows people get a feel
for some of the Open Source software with out having to install the Libs and
such on there Windows box. That's what I like about it. Give them a taste
with out all the work.

If you are interested in more information fire me off a e-mail. I plan on
writing a How-to on this and making up some screen mocks.

Luke