scanning/checking/validating a vendor's remote client before it connects to our system?

From: lee <lee@afabco.com>
Date: Sun Jun 18 2006 - 20:40:27 AKDT

 I take care of a 'designated infrastructure critical' system (utility
 scada system) (whoo-hoo). Anyway, I've been so far successful about
 being pig-headed, er "adamant" about keeping our system contained to
 our system, no [known] connections to the outside, any outside, and I
 police it and monitor it pretty closely.

However, the system is past end-of-life, and we are in the process of
spec'ing a replacement system, and I can see the writing on the wall.
The vendor, whoever it happens to be, is going to want to remote in to
do tech support. And I'm not totally opposed to that. Necessarily.
Totally.

It could have advantages.

Maybe.

To cut to the chase, I want a way to do a virus/trojan/malware/badboy
scan on the vendor's dialup client and have it pass before I'll even
close the (physical) connection between the outside firewall and our
network.

The vendor of course is going to say 'trust us. We do our own scans
etc'. Which is of course a non-starter.

Nor can I imagine the vendor letting us install stuff on their machine
(though we could make that part of the contract, I guess).

What do others do for this kind of thing?

I'm very familiar with working with GPL'ed stuff so hopefully there's a
reasonable solution there, but I'm not averse to pay or subscription
solutions either.

Brainstorming, I guess I'd look for something like a trendmicro
housecall or whatever symantec calls their online scan that we could put
on our DMZ that the client would have to pass before letting me know I
can close the switch. Or even, if we do this via public internet
(unlikely), can redirect the client to housecall. It's a 99.9% sure
thing the vendor is going to be a microsoft drone, so the housecall
(style) thing should work.

Or maybe there's a much better more comprehensive way?

Thanks!
Anyone who puts a small gloss on a fundamental technology, calls it proprietary, and then tries to keep others from building on it, is a thief.
-Tim O'Reilly