Ubuntu

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sun Jun 18 2006 - 20:08:43 AKDT

A few Fridays ago I did an Ubuntu workstation install. This past Friday
I did a web server install. Both were way beyond easy. Even Bill could
install them.

The workstation version is a Live CD.

   1. Boot the CD
   2. Click on the "install" icon on the desktop
   3. Wait for it to install
   4. That's it!

I got a Gnome desktop but you can install KDE.

The web server install was just as easy.

   1. Boot the CD
   2. Select LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
   3. Configure time zone, hard drive partitions etc...
   4. Wait for it to install
   5. Add PHP website

I told Ubuntu to partition the drive for me. When it finished Apache and
MySQL were running.

   1. Added elinks to surf the net CLI style
   2. Downloaded Wordpress ( PHP blog tool)
   3. Downloaded and installed Webmin ( had to create a MySQL database
      for Wordpress)
   4. Finished installing Wordpress

Got to the meeting at about 7 and finished setting up the server before
Stan left. Total time to install the OS and Get a blog up and running
was about 2 hours or so. I had never installed Ubuntu server or
Wordpress before.

I give Ubuntu a big thumbs up :)

Time to get back to my new Ubuntu workstation.