Re: Best Dual Monitor Supported Linux

From: Clay Scott <rudeboy@gci.net>
Date: Sat Jun 17 2006 - 21:16:49 AKDT

any reasonably modern distro should get the job done as xfree86 and x.org have supported dual-head for years. it's just a matter of proper configuration. in my experience i've had better experiences setting up xinerama on nvidia cards, but these days that shouldn't matter. i have a geforce 7900gt running dual 1600x1200, 21" monitors perfectly with xinerama though my old geforce2 worked perfectly as well.

i don't know of any live distros that will support xinerama by default though i did find a few hits on google discussing problems ubuntu live cds have had with it causing distortion. if you want to look at how to set it up manually (which really isn't very difficult) check out http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/

i can also send you the xorg.conf from my dual-head nvidia setup if you want...

~clay