Re: eclipse (was: Programming IDE for PHP)

From: Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
Date: Sat Jun 17 2006 - 10:34:40 AKDT

* Luke D <jules.inu@gmail.com> [060616 19:49]:
> Oh I know there are a lot of options we use Zend for PHP and I just wanted
> something for home. The program that seems to be close to Zend is
> EasyEclipse PHP. I just don't know a lot about IDE I am to to programming
> overall. So I am trying to understand all the features they have such. This
> might seem like a stupid question but is Vi and Vim related I use Vi a lot.
> Luke

  My use of linux has been mostly related to RH and some client server's
  that I have access too, so Jim may have more to say about this, but
  here goes;

  'vi' pertains originally to an editor of that name, but has come to
  refer either generically or thru symlinks to several 'vi-style'
  editors. Among them elvis and vim (Vi Much Improved). `gvim' is the
  X-compliant version of vim.

  On my system `vi' is symlinked to vim. On a Sun server that I have
  shell access to `vi' is something else again.

  So Luke, if you type `vi --help' at the command line, what do you see.
  What do you see if you look at `vi' in MC, is it a symlink, if so,
  what does it point to?
  Or if you type `vi' at the command line, what do you see on startup?

  I see the vim startup screen: 'Help Uganda ..... etc'

  HTH Tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>