Postfix

From: Brian ThunderEagle <thundereagle@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 17:19:30 AKDT

I set up postfix, got it all installed and followed the instructions here:

http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/40/2/Site_News

to set it all up. Everything seems to be working just fine on the server
however I cannot seem to send mail to my server and can't send mail out of
my server. I tried messing with a few settings in postfix but couldn't get
it to work. At one point when I was using "mail" from my other linux desktop
it was logging this in "/var/log/mail":

connect to mail.bcthund.net[24.176.56.245]: Connection refused (port 25)

but recently it stopped logging even the attempts to mail anything. So now I
didn't even have any clues to whats wrong. I looked at my server logs and it
doesn't seem to say anything about any attempts to even contact it for mail
delivery. I found the "mailq" command and all my messages that actually show
up on the list say this on my desktop computer:

server dropped connection without sending the initial SMTP greeting

When I looked at the "mailq" on my server for a message I tried to send to
hotmail I got:

connect to mx2.hotmail.com[65.54.190.50]: Connection timed out

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a while now but I'm pretty stuck
and don't know what else to try at this point. I can send mail to myself on
the server but nothing can go out or in. And my logs don't say anything.
Even the "mailq" on my desktop stopped logging information.

     Brian ThunderEagle
     thundereagle@hotmail.com

I set up iptables on the server to allow traffic on ports 25, 110, and 143.
I enabled TCP and UDP just in case and did the same thing on my linksys
router.