Re: Getting postfix to "de-alias" before passing to a filter

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 09:38:50 AKDT

Quick top post:

If anyone was wondering as to the answer to the below: anything in the virtual
user table will be "de-aliased" before being passed to a filter. Anything
in /etc/aliases will not. Just FYI.

On Friday 26 May 2006 15:19, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> [This originally went to the dspam list...the postfix list is next, I
> think. We're setting up postfix and dspam on our system, and I am looking
> for a way to make sure all the mail goes through the filter with a "real"
> user name. More detail below."
>
> OK...I've read all the documentation I can find, and searched the dspam
> user archives. Still no answer. I did find one reference to the problem I
> was having here: http://dspam.nuclearelephant.com/dspam-users/0707.html but
> that still didn't answer my question.
>
> On our mail system, we have a few "small scale" mailing lists that we
> handle via aliases. These are mostly things like a staff account that goes
> to all users, etc. When these messages pass through dspam, it is using
> staff@domain.com as the user name (we have virtual users enabled). This
> means that mail coming through staff@ is not being weighed against the
> individual users (i.e. it is training the staff@ profile, instead of the
> individual users).
>
> Is there a simple way to tell postfix to "de alias" the mail before it
> passes it to dspam? Yes, this means a message could get scanned N times
> (where N is the number of users the alias expands to) but we don't have
> enough volume for that to be an issue.
>
> And no, using dspam as the delivery agent won't work, because several of
> our addresses are forwarded off the box (via an entry in the postfix
> virtual table) so the mail never reaches the delivery agent.
>
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111