Re: OS Recommendations?

From: Tony <vze2jy85@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 09:33:36 AKDT

Hi Brian and others:

For the desktop, you could do a dual boot Windows
since we do live in a Windows world. There is a linux
that you could use called Knoppix.

Article below for your reading.

Tony

***
Knoppix to the rescue

Bill Bennett
June 3, 2006
Icon

Even if you have no intention of getting up close and
personal with Linux, it may pay to download and burn a
version called Knoppix (go to http://www.knoppix.org
and click on the US/UK flag logo for an English
version of the page or order it on DVD or CD from
http://www.linuxcdmall.com/knoppix.html).

In geek speak; Knoppix is a Linux Live CD. That means
it runs the Linux operating system directly from the
CD, bypassing the hard drive making it a useful very
useful tool.

Operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows, Apple's
OSX and most everyday versions of Linux, are a set of
programs that sit in the background managing
housekeeping tasks while you work or play on a
computer. Generally an operating system is installed
on a computer's hard drive and it automatically kicks
in, or boots up, the moment the computer is switched
on.

This is fine when everything is working, but if your
computer is hit with a nasty problem and can't boot
up, either because there's something wrong with its
software or there's a serious hardware fault, you
could be in trouble.

Knoppix can get around this problem. Simply put the
disc in the CD drive and reboot. As the disc boots,
clever software detects your machine's hardware,
configures everything and loads most of the important
programs it needs into the computer's memory. This way
you can quickly have a fully functional computer.
Although what you see may look unfamiliar and things
may not always work as you expect, the version of
Linux on the Knoppix disc can do pretty much
everything Windows can.

It can do a lot more as there are dozens of
applications including web-browsers, email programs,
instant messaging, music players, file viewers and an
office suite (similar to Microsoft's). Not bad for
free software. All these programs run from the CD, so
you can go online, surf the web and answer emails even
though you can't use your computer as normal. This is
often enough to surf to support sites where you can
get advice on fixing the problem that caused your
computer to stop working.

If you're more ambitious, you can read and write all
your normal Windows files from Knoppix. This is
especially useful for making backups of important
data.