Re: OS Recommendations?

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 08:59:58 AKDT

I also install stable debian for servers/routers/etc which helps
tremendously with backup space (using rsnapshot/similar w/ hard linking)
as well as quick transportation of services inbetween similar servers.
We have 1 rack with 5 boxes here all running debian stable with only
minor backports (Asterisk + prereqs/iptables w layer7/a few others) that
work great. Debian stable has a well thought out package base with the
appropriate prereqs/conflicts and a few fun tools like debfoster and
aptitude. Typically after installing a basic server before its purposed
I run debfoster and remove(purge) most packages that are uneeded like
the build system, dev packages and other random cruft that is easy to
reinstall once its ever needed.

I don't have to worry about the quality of the packages too often,
rarely will a package require somethings that isn't a prerequisite in
the package system, and the debian security team does a great job with
its security feed.

As far as debian working on its look and feel, I honestly don't see why
since there are so many other distros that have that covered for the
purpose people want to use it for. Console junkies unite!!

The quick burn of my mornings sugar fix should stop soon, I will become
less of a debian prick after it fades.

Shane