Re: DLP, LCD, LCoS?

From: Ben Everitt <ben.everitt@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 15:43:26 AKDT

Hi Kurt,

Although you did not mention it below, by all means stay away from
Plasma. Plasma TV's are just fine for normal TV, but when used as a
monitor, they burn in quickly.

If you buy a DLP, make sure it's the newer chipset by TI. The first
generation may be a great deal, but the rain-bowing will get really
annoying after two weeks of it in your home - especially during gaming
sessions on the big screen.

Take care when and how you judge a TV in a store. The video splitters,
boosters, and possible enhancers that most stores employ are not the
best quality and can badly shift and skew the image. With most demo
models, folks have played with them. Unlike the CRT counterparts, most
LCD TVs look better with the sharpness turned down; many of these store
demos have the sharpness cranked. This may catch many by surprise, but
I've tested it and the critics are right - at least to my eye.

Make sure and keep an eye out for your contrast ratios and pixel speeds
too. In LCD TV's, this separates the cheap models from the manufacturers
that didn't just throw together a TV to gain market share. Most older
LCD's were 16ms which gave folks headaches during the Olympics. Sony and
Sharp came out with the 12ms variety which made sports more relaxing to
the eye. Last year Sony introduced a 8ms Bravia with a contrast ratio of
600:1; pretty decent contrast for a LCD. But, Sharp just upped the bar
with the new Aquios at 6ms and 800:1. If you play a darker games (genre
not intended), contrast becomes paramount.

Lastly, don't forget about the other options. Dell's ultrasharp LCDs are
fantastic for computer performance, and the 20.1" models and higher
include nice composite inputs, so you can pump at least composite signal
into them and watch Dish, Cable, or a DVD.

-Ben