system upgrade woes...

From: Clay Scott <rudeboy@gci.net>
Date: Sun Apr 23 2006 - 22:07:22 AKDT

i recently decided to retire my trusty 1.4ghz athlon that's served me well for at least four years. this i received the parts and set to upgrading. first off the new system consists of:

asus a8n-sli-premium
athlon64 3700+
2gb ocz pc3200 ddr
drives from my last system (waiting for 500gb seagates to drop a bit more)

i didn't expect everything would work perfectly after getting everything assembled and booted for the first time so i wasn't shocked when it didn't. on first boot i got a not too uncommon VFS error and subsequent kernel panic saying it couldn't mount my root partition. no problem, boot from the slackware cd, mount the drives, recompile the kernel and it worked fine.

after the first clean boot i set to upgrading the kernel to 2.6.16.9, x.org to 6.9.0 and the nvidia drivers to 1.0-8756. first clean boot after all of that was done i went to startx and the system promptly froze solid. kind of had to scratch my head at this point because i can't see what would cause that to happen. i've tried several different kernel versions (ok, the ones that i had source for in my /root dir) and i've tried downgrading the nvidia drivers, but all that did was wither cause x to refuse to start giving a 'no screens' error or the driver didn't compile.

this being my first forray into the wild world of 64bit computing i'm all but certain there's something i'm overlooking. i'm all but certain my kernel configuration is spot on. new tech such as pci-e and sata is built-in. if anyone has some pointers or wants to point me into the right direction i'd really appreciate it.

~clay