Re: MOA web site, ports used

From: W.D.McKinney <deem@wdm.com>
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 10:51:33 AKDT

Hi Greg,

>http://efile.muni.org/efile/
>
>This is the online site for filing business personal property assessment=

>returns. The site says it accepts IE or Netscape v7.1 or greater, neithe=
>is available for Linux. I have tried changing changing the user agent
>setting to no avail.

Typically it is the internal muni requirements driving technology issues,=
 not end users. Since 3rd party applications have requirements built in, =
the muni probably dind't take the vendor to task for browser agent choice=
s.

>The other requirement is the site requires access to ports other than 80=
,
>but doesn't say which ones. Is there a way to determine the ports needed=
.
>As a last resort I can contact the Muni.

Contacting the mini will be fun :-)

>I don't think the Muni is quite up to speed on the dangers of the
>internet. Netscape may be secure, can't tell since it doesn't run on
>Linux anymore. IE should be banned, and the subject of a '
>"Ford Pinto" type of lawsuit. The Muni also doesn't realize that firewal=
ls
>are our line of defense against the nasties on the intent.
>
>Same old story, but it bugs me more when I pay as much tax as I do to th=
>Muni.

As to my past work with the mini, they had some good folks, but mostly en=
terprise experienced.

-Dee