Open source software in healthcaree

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 08:48:29 AKST

Tina Gasperson, News Forge
March 27, 2006
http://business.newsforge.com/business/06/03/17/2121230.shtml?tid=37

... largest not-for-profit healthcare provider in California...
consolidate its IT systems and bring greater efficiency and consistency ...
"We have lots of regulatory compliance we need to keep at the state and
federal level. It would be very difficult to continue to meet those
needs with the systems we had."

IT departments like to use LDAP as a means of identifying and
authorizing users on a network. ...

  "In general, IT in the healthcare industry tends to lag. They are slow
to adopt and risk-averse."

The changes in the infrastructure don't disrupt the end users.