Strange stuff with ACS DSL modems.

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 23:39:33 AKST

Lately I have been seeing strange problems with linux hosts I manage
connected to the ACS DSL network. Starting 2 days ago several of them
would get disconnected from the pppoe server but never recover and
reconnect. The host would just sit until I restarted the rp-pppoe daemon.

So far I have found this issue on 3 hosts all around the same time so I
suspect that something changed at ACS. I found that upgrading to
rp-pppoe 3.7 from 3.5 seems to resolve the problem, but it is still
puzzling why rp-pppoe 3.5 would suddenly fail to recover from a pppoe
outage. I have been using this software for years without issue so I
think there is something more to this. Perhaps it's time to break out
the packet sniffer and figure this out.

Anyone else see strange things in the last couple of days?

schu