Re: AOL

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 23:34:03 AKST

Fielder:

Spammers operate as they do because it is inexpensive. Doing this
will ratchet up the cost of sending spam quite a bit. Say for
example, it costs you one tenth of a penny to send a piece of email.
Spammers (and for that matter, people who send legitimate bulk email)
might send anywhere from 50,000 to 4 million pieces of email. I'm too
lazy to do math at the moment, but you get the idea: While a 'fraction
of a penny' looks like a very small amount, it's the aggregate that'll
get you.

What I don't know is how this will affect normal people. I mean, if I
try to send something from my glaven account to AOL, are they going to
"junk" it right out, flag it, or whatever? It seems unreasonable to
make the entire internet sign up with a service in order to send AOL
email, and that'll cause a HUGE backlash. I honestly wonder why there
hasn't been that much of a backlash already - AOL's filtering and
SPAM reporting is already horribly flawed (and if you call the AOL
Postmaster, they own up to that fact) and it inconveniences
administrators everywhere already who have to jump through hoops so
that you can send mail to those schmucks still sucking at AOLs teat.

Adam