Re: Server Board Recommendations

From: Joshua Kugler <joshua.kugler@uaf.edu>
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 12:51:06 AKST

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 09:17, Mike Tibor wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new motherboard for my home server, but I haven't
> been paying attention to new hardware for awhile. Anyone have any
> recommendations?
>
> Some of the features I'm looking for are:
>
> Dual cpu (either AMD or Intel is fine)
> At least one 64 bit pci slot
> Onboard SATA (and raid capability would be nice)
> Must work with Linux or the BSDs
>
> Beyond that I'm not too picky, but if anyone can think of features for a
> server board that I'm overlooking, please feel free to suggest them.

This is a nice little unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856152009

Tyan GX28 barebones kit. 1U, four SATA hot swap bays, dual AMD. Two 64 bit
slots, I think. We have one sitting in our server room running Linux right
now. If you want just the motherboard, get the Tyan S2882. Beware, though,
this system only has 2 Gb ports, and does not have the 3rd 10/100 port that
Tyan says it does (or else I'm visually impaired, but I've looked at the back
of that unit for a LONG time and couldn't find a 3rd RJ45 jack).

Nice system, stable, great cooling.

--
Joshua Kugler                 PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/
CDE System Administrator             ID 0xDB26D7CE