Re: reliable wireless router

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 22:45:50 AKST

Ha! Thanks Shane. I clean forgot Hawking. A couple of months ago or
less, I picked up a Hawking HWR54G Wireless Broadband Router. I carry it
around with my laptop just in case. I have not bothered to setup wap
because the typical situation is short in time with multiusers. So far,
I have not had a problem with it. fgd.

Shane R. Spencer wrote:
> [...]
> been working for a year or so, 24/7.
>

>> Netgear has pretty tough products IMHO.. Specifically the "industrial
>> grade" wireless routers and gateways. They also attempt to work with
>> full specs vs upsale their equipment with "pre-blah" specs.
>

> 4. CompUSA had some stuff called _Buffalo_ which I found easy to set up
> with a Linux box. I acquired three units. The first was a single
> wireless broadband router. It has been on 24/7 for some two years now. I
> needed to extend the coverage (g needs more power because it needs about
> five times the bandwidth as b, hence reliable coverage is about one
> fifth - rule of thumb lad and lassies - as a b) so when I went back to
> CompUSA the unit included an extender (wireless bridge) for a slightly
> higher price. It took me a little longer to set up the system because of
> the complexity, but it has been in service for more than a year, 24/7.
> The problem is availability is spotty. I think they are in Austin, TX,
> but CompUSA does not always have a selection of their offerings. I have
> the extra wbr here at home. I don't need the extender. It work great. I
> turn it on when I need it (daily).
>

> 5. _Belkin_ is another one that I shy away from. YMMV.
>

> 6. _Xyzel_ seems to work with Linux. I only have had experience with a
> pci card. It needs the ndiswrapper and the Windows XP driver to work in
> Linux. They may not make an wbr.
>

>> CompUSA carries another brand which is hawking. they don't suck nearly
>> as bad as you may think, I have used 3 current access points (that can
>> also operate as a bridge easily) for CPE and they have yet to up and
>> freak out - Forget their settings - etc..
>

> Well, there is my two pence. I sure got my money's worth. fgd.
>
> William Bouterse wrote:
>
>>Having had fits with my Blitzz Super G off and on
>>for a few weeks now and firmware upgrade still not resolving probs
>>I have decided to get another one on my next trip to Anchorage.
>
>>Following the thread on the Linksys....Is there really any difference in
>>Linux friendly flavors of the b/g units available around town....
>
>>The Blitzz worked fine for a couple of years as a wireless dialup
>>connected device
>>but find, now that I have dsl access, it has a mixed history with pppoe.
>
>>Any quick and easy, "walk into this store and buy this unit at a good
>>price" would be
>>appreciated as I am "City Disfunctional" and find my shopping tolerance
>>level is
>>slipping as the years pass by. :o)
>
>>Thanks
>
>>William (Bill) Bouterse
>>Talkeetna
>>---------
>>with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>

> --
> Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm .^. Debian/GNU Linux
> dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska /v\ "etch" Testing
> Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service. /( )\ User Number 269482

- --