Re: Dosemu ?

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 13:06:03 AKST

another free setup that may help with certain things, ex: sound card
support and a few issues dosemu may have had (far in the past) is to use
qemu w/ your dos of choice, they have a freedos image on their site.

I do not use the stable/unstable qemu under debian, I instead compile it
with kqemu support (kernel module providing faster i/o access to qemu).

I use this setup primarily for designing small footprint rootfs's for
some special linux setups I am involved in, its pretty fast. Probably
not blazing fast but you could get around a lot of the kernel specific
headaches you may be stopped by.

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 12:40 -0900, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> Greg Madden wrote:
> > I have found a solution, of sorts, as to why Dosemu does not run on 2.6.12
> > + kernels, basically anything after Debian Sarge. It seems that 2.6.12
> > the kernel folks added 'radomization_va_space' . This breaks dosemu
> > v.1.2.x and some other programs. The workaround for the v.1.2.x series is
> > to enter, as root, at a comand line of choice,:
> > 'echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space'. Dosemu now works in
> > Debian Etch...yea :-)
> >
> > A question is involved though, the command has to be entered each time the
> > box is started. How would I automate the process of entering this
> > command ? Be verbose.
>
> Couldn't you just make a small script with that command and have it run
> in rc.local?
>
> > ps, I have no idea what randomization_va_space is or how it works, which
> > is okay for me as long as the command does the trick.
>
> Here is an interesting read about it: http://lwn.net/Articles/121845/
>
> Jon

Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>
TDXNet L.L.C.