Re: Augustine - Get Ready

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 09:42:13 AKST

My geologically inclined co-worker gave me more of a heads up. Mainly if
ash, very very conductive and hard on machinery, doesn't get into your
house it will atleast effect the power stations and substations..
chugach will most likely kill select turbines for a limited time if ash
fall is too great and they cannot filter it. Also substations can be
effected when clumps of ash form a pretty solid conductive link between
the isolators. So I hope if you plan on running servers - you will
power them off when your battery backup starts beeping cause you could
be in for a long romantic candlelit night with the s/o and/or cats.

Also if feel inclined you should buy two spare oil filters and a spare
air filter for your car.. and of course filter your face with a mask if
you have respiratory problems (like myself).

If the volcano shows steady erruptions for a few weeks (small or large)
we may get ashed.. right now Homer is the prime target. It will ash
here over the snow we have and insulate it. Then more snow will come
and cover the ash. Leaving us with the initial ashing and then once the
snow is thawed it will stir up again. Its good to have replacement
filters for your vehicles for both times.

This has been 60 seconds with.. Shane Spencer

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 09:23 -0900, Neil Moomey wrote:
> I wasn't here for Mt Spurr. Is there anything I should do to protect our
> servers? Yesterday I bought some visqueen, tape, and face masks.
>
> Neil

TDXNet L.L.C.