Re: Linksys Router Table

From: Jim Gribbin <jim@jimgribbin.com>
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 00:21:05 AKST

You realize this will only give your webserver a static IP on your local
intranet, right?

Static IP or Reserved IP?

My impression is that the usuall way to do this is to use the "Reserved
IP" section in the router administation. You should have a table where
you enter the MAC address of the network interface in your webserver and
tell it what IP address it should assign that interface. It can't be in
the range of automaically assigned IPs. You still tell the webserver to
get its address DHCP. Every time your webserver comes up thereafter, it
will be assigned the same IP.

If you want a truly static IP address, just set it up on the webserver
and don't tell the router anything about it.

If you want this server visible from the internet, you'll need to get
into DMZ portion of the administrator and tell it to forward the traffic
to the server. I haven't used one of these in a while and don't remember
offhand if they do this by IP or MAC.

Jim Gribbin