Re: Donated machines

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 12:45:10 AKST

Barsalou wrote:
> Here is the snippet from the previous message about the machines that
> will be Donated.
>

> I found out today that I have access to some HP Vectra 6/200 machines.
> Is the group interested in trying to do something we these?
>
> It is possible, they will need memory, most of them have CD-rom (4x)
> and a few of them have Etherenet cards (VG version I believe). It's
> also possible that the HD's are 2 GB or less (bummer there).
>
> If there is interest, we can narrow down the exact specs.

Mike, Roger Pickles and I just moved about 25 Compaq 450s and a couple
600s from a storage cubicle to his garage for his rework/give-away
program. Most only have 128mb PC-100, so we will probably need to trash
a third of them to fatten the memory in the best.

Life with a GUI is tough w/o memory :-((

> I'd hate to see these go to a landfill. If there is some need that we
> can fill with these, that would be awesome.

So far I have stripped some 200/333 Mhz boxes to bare metal for the
scrap recycler. Folded/stomped flat, they don't take so much space.
Power supplies and boards get boxed for disposal.

Dead monitors are costly at the dump.
Storage fees until Greenstar's May disposal day are to be considered.