Re: Holiday Greetings & Other News

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 12:00:34 AKST

... and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Mike.

1. These HP Vectra 6/200's are 200 MHz machines c. 1997, so I don't have
any use for them myself. According to Damien's (and perhaps other's)
experience, they could be useful for (diskless) terminals in a Linux
Terminal Project situation http://www.ltsp.org

2. Where is this AT&T conference room, and which day, time, etc. is it
available? This sounds good, as the Friday Night Laboratory is just one
facet of AKLUG's activities. AKLUG started out with once a month
meetings to demonstrate software. I remember in particular a session on
security that got a little warm. I was not satisfied, and I am still
interested in security. I am interested in this SELINUX stuff.

Cheerio! fgd.

barsalou wrote:
> Happy Holidays to AKLUG!
>
> I found out today that I have access to some HP Vectra 6/200 machines.
> Is the group interested in trying to do something we these?
>
> It is possible, they will need memory, most of them have CD-rom (4x)
> and a few of them have Etherenet cards (VG version I believe). It's
> also possible that the HD's are 2 GB or less (bummer there).
>
> If there is interest, we can narrow down the exact specs.
>
> Also, "monthly" meetings will resume in the New Year. AT&T has
> graciously offered us space in their conference room.
>
> Because of the time commitment, initially, we will not have them every
> month, but at least we now have a way to carry them forward. One caveat
> here is that if the security folks get a sniff of foul play, then we
> will be outta there faster than you can blink your eyes.
>
> Lastly, I had made an offer to share my slightly used magazines with
> the group and received an overwhelming response. This caused me to
> rethink my offer and suggest that we set up some way to share them
> amongst the entire group.
>
> I am looking a some ways to do that and appreciate any feedback from
> folks out there.
>
> So have a great holiday and the New Year looks to start off with BANG!
>
> Mike B.

- --
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm .^. Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska /v\ "etch" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service. /( )\ User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^ "irad" 301256