Re: Laser Light show

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 13:17:29 AKST

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 16:02 -0900, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> Does anybody remember the old video "Relax" from Frankie Goes To Hollywood?
>
> Remember the laser light show at the beginning of the video? Is there a
> way to create something like that using an application in linux or
> windows that anybody knows of?
Sure.. use a stereo sound card, stereo amp, and two speakers. After
some popsicle sticks, hot glue and some mirrors you have a party going
on. :)

Let me seeeeee if I can diagram this in blender... yup.. I hope this
list groks attachments.

speaker-reflect-cutaway.jpg shows a terrible cutaway of an old crappy
speaker you don't mind ruining, using a small balsa like wood surface
and hot glue/sew/metal hinge attach one side to the edge of the outer
speaker rim to act as a hinge. Then glue the same board to the speaker
domes tip right smack dab in the middle (hot glue may break with lots of
movement of the speaker surface), make sure its wide enough and the
hinge is wide enough to help it avoid tipping one way or the other.
Then glue a small mirror surface (aluminum foil/mirrored origami paper/a
real mirror) acrossed the top surface on the board to act as the
reflector.. depending on where you aim the mirror (off center away from
hinge or directly in the center) you can change how wide the beam
sweeps. Now play some funky music and look at the line on your wall
driving your cats nuts.

speaker-left-right.jpg shows to use the other stereo channel to drive
another speaker. This one mounted as shown and 90 degrees offset. Make
sure that the sweep area from the first reflection does not bleed over
the width of the second mirror. now drive a sine wave over the left
speaker and a cosine over the right and you have a funky effect :)

this drove my roommates nuts for a good week when I was playing with
this.. there are of course tons of other ways to do this.. this is one
way of experimenting with very changes in the reflectors.

> Jon

Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>
TDXNet L.L.C.
-- Type: image/jpeg