Re: aklug mirror server

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 10:04:24 AKST

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 15:45 -0900, Adam bultman wrote:

> Fielder: Put a bug in my ear sometime to get Mepis Mirrored. Right
> now, I'm resyncing everything (Suse - which has a long ways to go,
> ubuntu, which is about done, debian, which I think has a bit to
> update, fedora, which is updating some stuff, and centos, which is
> complete, I think) and I've set up cron jobs to start rsyncs at 1:03
> AM and to kill them all (-9) at 5:05 AM.

What I have done in the past to minimize the amount of package space
needed for debian/ubuntu mirrors was use the debian package approx.

I use that here in town at my corporate HQ where we host mail/web
traffic on 6 debian servers, a few virtual debian installs and 2 ubuntu
workstations. Then on st. paul island we have a similar setup for
around 10 debian based systems.

You can formalize the http://ip-address:9999/debian style source lines
in sources.list with a simple addition to a standard apache2 install and
rewrite/proxy modules. IMHO a mirror-on-demand approach is more
bandwidth and space efficient, this could solve any issues about "Hmm,
should I mirror just the popular architects?". With 20+ people snagging
packages from these sources a large cache of popular packages, arch
independent, will be stored.

Also I am wondering where the mirror will be physically and what kind of
bandwidth is being thrown its way :)

> Jon Reynolds: If you want a smaller window, let me know.
> Fielder: I'll see about fitting Mepis on there, and trimming excess
> fat if necessary (I think we have a lot of ppc cruft with debian)
>
> Next weeks WILL be the final week that the AKLUG server goes on travels.
>
> Finally: Cheap hard drives at best buy. 40 bucks gets you a seagate
> 120G with a 5 year warranty.
>
> Adam
>
> Fielder George Dowding wrote:
>
> > Boy! It would be great to include MEPIS. I just dumped Ubuntu in
> > favor of SimplyMEPIS (single cd install) for this friend who "just
> > wants to get her email". If you all remember, I couldn't get the
> > Gnomish gui to set the dial-up interface (ppp0) as the default so
> > life would be easy for her when she booted her laptop (Gateway
> > c.2000). SimplyMEPIS (combination live cd and installer) found the
> > built-in modem right off. The KDE gui (KPPP) allowed me to set the
> > parameters, and I was able to connect through the dial-up with only
> > the typical amount of futzing to get the device correct (/dev/ttS3)
> > and the login/email (gci) stuff working.
> >
> > The MEPIS site (.org) has some information on how to setup and get
> > permission for an official mirror. They are focused on milking the
> > business cow, but they haven't yet split their distribution the way
> > Red Hat has (RH and Fedora).
> >
> > Just a thought. fgd.
> >
> > Damien Hull wrote:
> >
> >> Got the aklug mirror server updated. Even got Ubuntu squeezed in
> >> there. We have 27 gig's left over.
> >>
> >> Not sure if the Debain mirror scripts are working. I tried
> >> running one of them but nothing happened. I think that was user
> >> error on my part.
> >>
> >> we have the following distributions on the server.
> >>
> >> 1. CentOS 2. Fedora 3. Suse Updates 4. Ubuntu 5. Debian 6. Debian
> >> amd64 ( may not be working )
> >>
> >> -- You can get my public PGP key at https://keyserver.pgp.com
> >
> > --------- Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm .^.
> > Debian/GNU Linux dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska /v\
> > "etch" Testing Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service. /( )\
> > User Number 269482 ^^-^^ "irad" 301256 --------- To unsubscribe,
> > message body.

Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>
TDXNet L.L.C.