Re: OT: Tivo question

From: Christopher E. Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sat Dec 10 2005 - 18:19:51 AKST

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Chris Hamilton wrote:

> Is anyone using Tivo with MTA's digital television over phone service? I'm
> looking into it and wondering if there are any problems.
> Thanks
>
> Chris

It is a generic multiVC + QoS capable ATM based DSL loop, ADSL2+ I think.
The customer CPE unit directly terminates one VC (the high priority Video
VC), and passes the other through the PC port for a PPPOE speaker t
connect through.

The SetTop boxes are a generic multicast video client, they talk IP, and
sparse mode multicast. (With sparse mode there is a /discovery/ multicast
group that everyone receives a group list via, and the STB requests any
additional multicast streams as needed)

IIRC the units have SVideo + composit (RCA) + coax outputs.

Works as well as any basic IP/TV solution, though the standard sync rates
for the DSL loop prevent the delivery of HD content (480i/480p, OK -
720p/1080i/1080p require too much bandwidth).