Re: Postgresql 8.1 is released

From: Neil Moomey <neil@neilmoomey.com>
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 10:20:45 AKST

Hopefully Postgresql and MySQL will be taken more seriously by third party
vendors. In my opinon that's their greatest weakness. For example ESRI
makes an ArcSDE Geodatabase connector for MSSQL, Oracle, DB2, and Informix
but no open source dbs. PostGIS is not compatable with ESRI software
either. Quality database administration GUIs are lacking as well.
Microsoft Enterprise Manager/DTS/Query Browser are one example. I've tried
several GUIs for MySQL and they are all very buggy or limited. i.e. You
can't stop your query or execute more than one at a time. I often use
command line instead which is also very limited. Linux took many years
before Vendors would support them. I think it will be another 3-5 years
before open source dbs are taken seriously by vendors.

Neil