Re: FreeBSD users ???

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 20:41:44 AKST

Damien Hull wrote:
> What rock are you FreeBSD users hiding under?
>
> I was a user for a while. I even brought FreeBSD and OpenBSD to the
> Friday night meetings. I was the only BSD user in a room full of
> penguins. Wait, John ran FreeBSD for a while. It was nice having someone
> to talk to about BSD stuff.
>
> You BSD guy's need to come to the Friday night meetings and show us
> Linux users what's going on in the BSD world. Some of our software comes
> from the BSD community.
>
> All this talk about BSD has reminded me that I need to get a copy of
> OpenBSD. Maybe I'll just DL a copy.
>
> Well, I hope to see some BSD users at future meetings.

I used freebsd for everything years ago, but one day I had to have
nsswitch and pam (which wasn't supported in freebsd at the time) so I
switched to linux. Freebsd has since added these things but I have
linux working very well. Every now and then I get curious and build a
freebsd box in the lab, but have never found it to outperform linux so
there really isn't any reason to switch back.

Most of the reasons why freebsd people dislike linux is because of the
bloat, but that is easily fixed by running a thinner linux with BSD
style init such as slackware. :)

schu