Clearwire

From: Justin Dieters <enderak@mtaonline.net>
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 09:57:17 AKDT

Has anyone had any experience with Clearwire? (http://www.clearwire.com)

Apparently they just started offering wireless internet service in
Anchorage and Eagle River. Right now at our office, we are pretty much
stuck with MTA, and we are paying $100+/month for 768 DSL (which, in
practice, is closer to 512 than 768), static IP, and 10GB monthly limit,
which we occasionally go over, for $20 for each GB)

Clearwire is offering 1.5MB/256 wireless service, static IP, and no
transfer limit for about $75/month (or $65/month if you pay yearly).
Clearly a better deal. My main concern with this would be quality of
service issues. I imagine worst case, we'd have to rig up an external
antenna - we are currently in the first floor of a two-story brick building.

Security might also be an issue - we use Smoothwall Corporate for our
firewall, and remote clients use a VPN for anything that might pose a
security risk (mainly, access to our accounting server so employees at
remote sites can submit timecards)

Any thoughts from the list?

Thanks,
Justin