Re: Of dreams in the sky and pieces on the ground...

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 22:28:00 AKDT

Hi Bob, et al.

Glad you initial exposure to the AKLUG, Friday Night Laboratory Session
(FNLS) was satisfactory.

My experience with my external USB drive closely parallels yours. I to
partitioned and formatted with EXT3 including setting up a swap
partition. My initial thought was to put on my favorite distribution
(Debian of course) and use it to boot any stray computer I might be
forced to use whilst I was in the field. Then I found getting any
computer to boot from USB was probably more than I wanted to worry
about. So I simply use partition 3 for my Debian mirror as I originally
intended.

I also had trouble mounting the partition (one mounts a file system to
another file system) as a non-root user. I tried various hacks, but
nothing worked. I finally mounted the partition as root and used chown
to change the subdirectories to the non-root user (me) I wanted to be
able to have write as well as read priviledges.

Perhaps someone has a better solution. fgd.

Bob Crowe wrote:
> Howdy,
> I tried to cruise some forums and use Google for my problem but to no
> avail. I am currently using FC3 and I had this exact same problem with
> Suse 9.3. I'm able to repartition and format a Maxtor One Touch 160 GB
> USB external hard drive. I have read capability but no write through my
> user. I can write only as root. I am using this drive as a secondary
> drive for backup purposes only and it is formatted in EXT3 (my version
> of FC3 didn't have Reiserfs in the mk directory, I'm willing to deal
> with the file integrity check every 30 mounts.) Anyone know what's going
> on and have a solution? Again that last meeting was the bomb, it's good
> to be around others as crazy as yourself. ;) Take care, Bob.
>
> p.s. I fall under the Newb category

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "etch" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^  "irad" 301256