Re: Analog Audio to mp3`

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 21:35:01 AKDT

Thank you all for your experiences and suggestions.

Several years ago, the Parish (All Saints') put in a sound system to
improve the listening experience to those in the back pews as well as
those of us who have experienced some hearing loss due to age. The
electronics are installed in what looks like a standard 19 inch relay
rack (basic black) that stands about thirty inches high. It has several
inputs (at least four that I remember) and puts out to six speakers
located at strategic points in the nave. In addition, one of the (x)U
units is a cassette recorder.

So for several years now, our Rector has been recording his sermons each
Sunday. Although still a Windows user, he digs gadgets, one of which is
an iPod. So a couple of months ago he (jokingly) asked me if we could
"Pod-cast" his sermons. I, of course, said, "Yah sure, you betcha!" Then
I set about to find out just what a "Pod-cast" was.

Two weeks ago, after having found out a "Pod-cast" is an mp3 audio file
that can be downloaded from the Internet, I asked if he could give me an
mp3 file of his sermon. He responded with a cd. I put the file up on the
Parish's web server (http://allsaintsalaska.org) and tried it at home.
It worked much to my delight.

So now, I would like to set up a server installed in the rack (maybe
this is a job for Damien) that would take the live audio and record it
on disk. If it could do the transformation into mp3 (or other suitable
compressed format) on the fly so much the better. I would like to have a
cd burner (maybe a dvd now) built in and connection to the wireless lan.

I am thinking Debian of course, but I am open to suggestions. Perhaps an
lcd and keyboard tray as part of the installation for maintenance and
burning cd's.

I will keep every one informed.

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "etch" Testing