Re: Analog Audio to mp3

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 19:35:06 AKDT

Another option you could try is the following method. My primary need
is broadcasting, secondary recording, so I forgo manual control the
encoding method. More details here:

http://community.wsfnet.org/tiki-index.php?page=3DMP3+Recording

And when I want to record, I simply use wget or curl to grab the
stream at the bitrate I want, since I broadcast multiple rates. Not
what you'd want for transferring tapes or LPs, but works great for
radio-type stuff or spoken word. (It's our PA system.)

I wrote a few custom dialogs with Xdialog to make the start/stop
recording easy, but it's nothing like real programming.

Things this doesn't do:
   voice-activated recording
   'timeshifting', with, say, a 15-minute delay, although I bet I
could do it easily enough
   scheduled recordings, although that's easy enough with cron

I use icecast for broadcasting and darkice for encoding. I'd like to
add AAC streaming and recording, but haven't had time to figure out
the arcane mpeg4ip stuff.

Hope this gives you ideas,
Jeremy
Whitestone, Alaska