Re: DSL

From: Christopher E. Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 18:58:47 AKDT

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Adam bultman wrote:

> I have no booklet for my paradyne, but it's just a modem, not a router.
> I needed either a pppoe program or a router that did pppoe to get connected.

Nope, if it is a little black Paradyne it is a modem with a router built
in.

Default programming from the factory for 3.09 or 3.10 firmware (A2/A3
series) is to be in bridge mode (acts like a modem only). You can however
login via the internal ethernet interface and kick it over to routed mode.

These things are a 125 - 150Mhz (depending on model) StrongArm CPU,
running a MontaVista based Linux distribution.

They even do full iptables filters (in bridge or routed mode).

Read the model off of the sticker on the bottom, go the the Paradyne web
site for docs. Default network is 192.168.1.0/24, the modem is .1

And yes, you can telnet into it and login as root with the admin password
(same one as the web interface uses for the admin user).

And of course, telnet/web access is only available on the ethernet side,
not the Inet side.