Re: DSL

From: Joshua Kugler <joshua.kugler@uaf.edu>
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 08:17:26 AKDT

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 08:02, Kevin Miller wrote:
> Matthew Dunaway wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, there is no DSL modem. He just plugged the
> > router into my computer and the telephone line into the router
> > Kevin Miller wrote:
>
> Oh. Hard to do DSL w/o a DSL modem. Here in Juneau they're using little
> Paradyne boxes. I had to go over to their office and pick it up. You
> might check w/them to see if you're supposed to. The line guy just took
> the DAML off the line, and they did something at the CO to tie the phone
> into the internet. I got the Paradyne box and pluggeed it in myself. You
> can do it one of two ways: ACS<->DSL Modem<->Router<->Computer(s) or
> ACS<->DSL Modem<->Computer. If the latter, you'll have to set up the NIC
> on on the computer to do PPPoE. I've never done that, so I'm not sure
> what's involved.
>
> Was it your router, or one that the guy brought? If ACS provided it, I'll
> bet it's not a router, but actually the DSL modem. If it is, it's much
> simpler to get a little Linksys or Netgear or Dlink SOHO router and plug
> into that. Plus you can have multiple computers on the internet at the
> same time that way...

I have seen DSL modems (paradyne, I think) that have a "router" built in.
they have their own DHCP server, you handle the username/password through a
web interface on the modem itself, etc. So, you can just plug a switch into
it and share your connection. If you want to use something like a linksys,
you have to 1) set up the linksys to use a DHCP connection, but then you're
doing double-NAT, or 2) turn off the internal PPPoE dialer, and let the
linksys do the dialing.

But of course, I don't know if ACS is using these kinds of DSL modems, so this
may all be a moot point. :)

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator