RE: DSL

From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 08:02:38 AKDT

Matthew Dunaway wrote:
> As far as I can tell, there is no DSL modem. He just plugged the
> router into my computer and the telephone line into the router
> Kevin Miller wrote:

Oh. Hard to do DSL w/o a DSL modem. Here in Juneau they're using little
Paradyne boxes. I had to go over to their office and pick it up. You might
check w/them to see if you're supposed to. The line guy just took the DAML
off the line, and they did something at the CO to tie the phone into the
internet. I got the Paradyne box and pluggeed it in myself. You can do it
one of two ways: ACS<->DSL Modem<->Router<->Computer(s) or ACS<->DSL
Modem<->Computer. If the latter, you'll have to set up the NIC on on the
computer to do PPPoE. I've never done that, so I'm not sure what's
involved.

Was it your router, or one that the guy brought? If ACS provided it, I'll
bet it's not a router, but actually the DSL modem. If it is, it's much
simpler to get a little Linksys or Netgear or Dlink SOHO router and plug
into that. Plus you can have multiple computers on the internet at the same
time that way...

...Kevin

155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500