Re: AKLUG mirror server

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Sat Oct 01 2005 - 15:57:17 AKDT

Current status:

The AKLUG server is currently running. It's running CentOS 4.1 for ease
of updates and so that everybody can have fun with RPMs.

It's running on a PIII 550 (Actually a 733, but motherboard issues and a
lack of PC133 RAM keeps us at 550), with ~384MB RAM.

Has an 18G SCSI Seagate Barracuda as a boot drive connected to an
Adaptec 29160N SCSI card. (It's zippy).

Has three Linksys NICs in it (sorry, Anthony, but your 3COM totally
wanged up the SCSI card). I plan on setting up linux-HA and ldirectord
on the three nics it has for any neat services we wish to provide (ftp,
http, etc) so that we can get more throughput on it without a pricey
switch.

Oliver and I are going to work on getting drives this week. We're
looking for the cheapest drive for the dollar larger than 150G. We've
got emough money for 2 drives from myself, Jim Wadell, Oliver Savage,
and Anthony Valentine. I forget what the total amount we have is, but
I'm sure we can pick up a few good drives with it. I don't plan on
doing any type of mail-in rebates with the money; that's always a gamble.

One individual (I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name) has offered an 850
MHz Tbird, motherboard, and 512MB RAM once he digs it up and comes to a
meeting (he wont' be there next week).

So, that's the status. I'm updating it as of right now, and I enabled
serial console on it (Woo!) and am currently connected via the serial
console.

Jon: it's not too loud, I hope. The barracuda is far quieter than the
two IBM scsi drives that were in it before.

Adam