Re: Hi & Distro Recomendation for newbie

From: Greg Madden <pabi@acsalaska.net>
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 16:56:33 AKDT

On Thursday 15 September 2005 02:10 pm, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> If I remember right, the last version of windows that ran on 8mb was
> Win 3.1 or Win 3.11 which was all the rage about the time the first
> versions of Linux were just coming out. I think W95 (the first
> version) would just barely boot on 8mb.
> You might check this out, I think it was based on slack 7.1 (maybe
> earlier), if you can still find it.

Your right, when I 'computerized' Precision Air Balance in '93,I bought
a box from Costco that had Win3.1 & 8mb of ram. A year later I upgraded
to 20 mb of ram. This was a 486 DX33. I did see get some old boxes from
the State surplus store , for Ipcop boxes, 486 DX2x66 that had win 95 &
20mb of memory, running MS Office no less.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.