Re: Certificate authentication to SSH

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 16:06:13 AKDT

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Adam bultman wrote:

> Sadly, not allowing root access isn't always an option. If you don't
> have serial access or physical access to the server, the additional
> steps required to ssh in as a user and then switch to root is often
> impossible (For example, there's a number of systems at work that tank.
> When they tank, you can get in as root, but not as a user).

If you have systems that tank then you really should have some kind of out of
band access, such as a serial console server or what have you. Even on my own
systems where I don't have immediate physical access (like my co-lo'd server)
I still live by that rule religiously. Of course, my systems don't typically
tank, which begs the question if there isn't something you could be doing to
better protect the system.

> It's dangerous, but there's always rules you have to break.

No rule is absolute, to be sure, but there's more than a few that should never
be broken lightly.

> Arthur: Would you like to be my escort on a tour of the country?

:-) I already have the fish...

         --Arthur Corliss