Re: Certificate authentication to SSH

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 13:11:17 AKDT

Arthur Corliss wrote:

> And on remote root access: I
>not only don't recommend it, I think anyone allowing direct root access
>remotely should be forced to tour the country on the recieving end of
>Python's fish slapping dance...

Sadly, not allowing root access isn't always an option. If you don't
have serial access or physical access to the server, the additional
steps required to ssh in as a user and then switch to root is often
impossible (For example, there's a number of systems at work that tank.
When they tank, you can get in as root, but not as a user).

It's dangerous, but there's always rules you have to break.

Arthur: Would you like to be my escort on a tour of the country?

Adam