Re: Zone Minder

From: Tim Jordan <tim@pcs-alaska.com>
Date: Tue Aug 30 2005 - 15:10:08 AKDT

Justin Dieters wrote:

>Wow.. nice. What kind of cameras are those?

Panisonic KX-HCM10 Network Cameras, I can control (left, right, up,
down, click on a portion of the "zone" and the camera centers itself on
your mouse) these cameras via Zone Minder and the developer has tested
with this model so it was very easy to get working.

>Does it save as video or
>separate images?

It saves as *.jpg files. Capturing between 6-8 frames per sec -
recording three cams. It streams back nicely when using Mozilla. ZM
creates directories to keep your *.jpg files in and you can customize
how to label the events. I understand audio recording is in
development. Another note is that developers are working on playing the
frames back as flash. You can generate video from captured frames
within ZM.

>I assume it archives the images/video for a particular length of time?

Yes, you can set this in the options.

>What kind of disk space do suppose you take up per camera per day?

I'd say about 60GB is in the ZM archive. Running three cameras after 90
days.
6.7GB per cam every 30 days.
Each *.jpg is 15 -17KB capturing at 320x240, each event dir contains
about 32 images at about 501KB per event dir. I capped out on the file
system limitation on one camera recently when I hit 32K files - using Ext3.

I'm going to script the rotation of the archive directories at the end
of every month. I plan to start rolling the archive into the tape
backup procedure for months end or something along those lines to
maintain disk space.

Tim