Re: Zone Minder

From: ben.everitt <ben.everitt@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue Aug 30 2005 - 13:13:06 AKDT

In a nutshell, zoneminder saves video when you tell it to (motion
detection, triggers, ongoing). I won't remove them until you tell it to;
and it WILL eat up all your disk unless you define rules allowing it to
remove old/small/useless records.

As always, filesize is dependant on framerate, length, resolution, and
compression from both the video feed (wired & IP) into the software and
how you setup the software to save the video. I'll have to check the
specs on my single camera setup, I am using best res with almost no
compression for quality, but I would guess each capture (aprox 10-20
seconds) is around 50-100 meg. Ben's math = aprox 300 'events' will eat
a 30 gig disk. **hint: remember to set at least 1 deletion rule for sanity!

The best camera I've found is the axis line. It is also the manufacturer
that everyone on the zoneminder forums settles on. I have the 206w and
it blows away both the d-link 950g and the linksys. The 206w is 802.11b
and it still works better if that's any indication. Don't waste your
time with the others; I went from 'sorely dissapointed' to 'way more
than I expected' for the extra $50.

-Ben