Re: switch recomendations/vlans

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Sun Aug 28 2005 - 10:09:53 AKDT

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> Maybe someone can tell me though. Is Microsoft's "workgroup" effectively
> an attempt at this same concept? How does it compare?

Microsoft's concept of workgroups and domains is an attempt to control access
to services higher up the OSI stack -- at the application layer, rather than
at the link layer. It doesn't, however, isolate workgroup broadcast traffic
(or any traffic, for that matter), leaving your workgroup's resources open to
probing, sniffing, and so on.

        --Arthur Corliss