Re: VGA Specs

From: Justin Dieters <enderak@mtaonline.net>
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 10:25:28 AKDT

Just how long are you wanting to go and at what resolution?

At UAA, some rooms have an overhead projector mounted on the ceiling,
which probably have a 30-40' run from the ceiling to the wall to the
computer and do not use an amplifier.-

Doing a quick search, I see commercially sold extension cables as long
as 200 feet, but I don't know what the theoretical or practical limit
would be. I think the 200' cables are for use with an amplifier.

I did find this quote: "Using high quality cables I would say that 10
meters (33 feet) would be the maximum for 1024x768@60Hz. There are
VGA-Analogue repeater solutions as well that can also permit 10's and
100's of meters of signal--at lower resolutions--e.g. 800x600@60Hz."

Another site talks about DVI, and mentions that at 12 meters, the signal
is unusable, but works fine at 10 meters.

Justin