Re: Switch recommendations

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 08:01:19 AKDT

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Damien Hull wrote:

> I hope they have a lot of $ to spend. A 48 port switch will cost you.
> Getting one that's managed will put nice dent in anyones budget. I'm
> currently using a Hawking but it's only 24 ports. Cost me $310 with
> shipping. It does a lot more then most switches at that price.
>
> http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=36&FamID=49&ProdID=170
>
> Why do they need VLans? Most networks don't need them.

?! If they have the need for that kind of port density there's very likely a
lot of benefit for VLANs and other management capabilities. How about
securing and controlling access to your backend servers? How about
segregating your departmental traffic? If they have publically exposed
systems how about a DMZ?

*Most* networks can use them, and there's probably a majority of those
networks that should but aren't.

        --Arthur Corliss