Re: Opensource Exchange Server?

From: Tim Jordan <tim@pcs-alaska.com>
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 14:00:10 AKDT

bob@estimations wrote:

>I recently came across an eWeek article comparing MS Exchange Server=20
>replacements. But all of them appear to be proprietary. I'm wondering if=20
>there are any open source equivalents? Something that can talk to MS=20
>Outlook -- which some people are reluctant to give up?
>
> From the article: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1846659,00.asp
>
>Companies looking for a way to leverage Microsoft Corp. Outlook=ADbut not=20
>necessarily with Exchange=ADhave a growing number of flexible groupware=20
>servers from which to choose.
>
>eWEEK Labs evaluated four of the newest of these servers: Bynari Inc.'s=20
>Insight Server 4.2, CommuniGate Systems' CommuniGate Pro Real-Time=20
>Collaboration 4.2, Gordano Ltd.'s Gordano Messaging Suite 11 and Scalix=20
>Inc.'s Scalix Server 9.2.1. Through a plug-in, the servers connect Outlook=
>=20
>users to features including group calendar and scheduling and shared folders=

In the latest linux journal there is an article on Groupware for Linux
you may find intresting.

Also,
Kolab is a Free Software Groupware Solution. From version 2.0 on it
allows full seamless support of mixed clients environments
(Outlook/KDE/Web). This is because the Kolab-XML storage format is fully
open and avoids MAPI/TNEF.
http://kolab.org/

At this early development stage, Novell's Evolution groupware client and
Thunderbird can use the program's mail and contact services. The Hula
project also plans to expand its functionality to the open-source
Chandler PIM (personal information manager) and Microsoft Outlook.
http://hula-project.org/Hula_Server

Tim