Re: Help??

From: Matthew Dunaway <fert@eagle.ptialaska.net>
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 11:08:51 AKDT

W.D.McKinney wrote:

> Matthew Dunaway wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I went to Barnes & Noble today and bought the book "Point and Click
>> Linux" which includes SimplyMEPIS on CD.
>> I am on dial-up internet. I tried every single option in KPPP, but
>> KPPP can't find my modem. ( KPPP does not work using SuSE either,
>> although K-Internet does).
>> wvdialconf seems to be the only way to find my modem
>> In SuSE 9.0 Personal, my modem is located at tty/s14.
>> KPPP in SimplyMEPIS only allows me to choose tty/s13.
>>
>> Anybody have any ideas as to how to get my modem to work???
>>
>> I would love to try a disto other than SuSE, but SuSE seems to be the
>> only distro that can find my modem. ( Using wvdialconf
>> /etc/wvdial.conf).
>> Red Hat 9.0 and Mandrake 9 can't find my modem either.
>>
>> Please help???
>>

> What's the problem with running SuSE? Make it look like whatever you
> like and then install apt-get for SuSE and wala.
>
> Dee

Actually, there is nothing wrong with running SuSE. I heard a lot of
good things about MEPIS, so I wanted to try it. I just don't understand
why KPPP can't find my modem. I'm using SuSE right now so I know my
modem works with Linux. Too bad MEPIS doesn't have K-Internet.

I just downloaded all the RPMs for apt-get. Now to figure out how to use
it. :-))