Re: modprobe Intel536.ko

From: Jim Gribbin <Jim@JimGribbin.com>
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 11:45:33 AKDT

Tim Jordan wrote:
> I compiled the Intel536 modem driver against my kernel but I'm getting
> the error below. Can anyone advise on how to resolve this so I can get
> this going?
>

>># modprobe Intel536
>>FATAL: Error inserting Intel536
>>(/lib/modules/2.6.11-oci12.mdk-i586-up-1GB/kernel/drivers/char/Intel536.ko):
>>Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>

> #dmsg | grep Intel
>

>>Intel536: Unknown symbol pm_access

I got something similar when I was attempting to compile a module for a
Philips web cam. It meant that my kernel didn't have the "hooks" in it
for that driver. You may need to find a kernel with support or a patch
that gives it support.

It looks like that hook may have been killed in 2.6.9/2.6.10 you might
have to use a kernel older than that. Or find a driver that doesn't use it.

it appears that that driver has some proprietary code in it and the guy
in charge of kernel development has been kind of touchy about that
lately. I know the Philips web cam hooks have been in and out a few
times between 2.6.4 and 2.6.11.

--
Jim Gribbin
Prudential Jack White/Vista RE