Re: Looking for a Laptop

From: Greg Madden <pabi@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 19:54:56 AKDT

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 04:53 pm, Damien Hull wrote:
> I'm looking for a laptop but I'm not sure what to get. I'm currently
> looking at the ThinkPad T42 but I'm not sure if that's a good choice.
> Anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Here's what I need.
>
> 1. Surf the net
> 2. Check email
> 3. Word processing
> 4. Printing
> 5. Read DVD's
> 6. Wireless access
>
> Anything else is extra.

You didn't mention serial port, not many laptops have one, it is a
specialty item these days. I went with a Gateway, I checked the
chipsets used on all the devices and made sure there were no issues
with Linux there. The only thing I noticed, after I used it for awhile,
the USB ports are stacked which may limit using both at the same time.

The Centrino chipset is well supported, Intel gigbit ethernet, wireless.
I haven't checked lately on buying a laptop without the Microsoft tax.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.